Many of you are in the process of creating and filling your December Daily albums. Honestly, I really love this project! Recording one memory everyday during the month of December appears to be a lofty task. We are all very busy people with scheduled lives, running here and there, navigating the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. December Daily forces us to slow down a bit, to enjoy the everyday moments that the season brings.
So far I have been rather successful at managing this project. However, I will fully admit, there have been a few stressful points. Like when I don’t pay attention to what is going on during the day or when I get caught up the routine of family life when I get home from work. At times I overthink this process…I want to print and include ALL THE PICTURES when I just need a couple of photos to tell a story.
I have to be cognizant not to just “pick” a story just for the sake of having something in my album. Further, it’s okay that on Day 6 I tell a story from time gone by or record one of my million random thoughts that I have throughout the day…slap that on a layout, no picture needed.
Keep things simple sweetie. 🙂
Confession: I have the habit of comparing my December Daily layouts to other DD layouts. (Damnit Pinterest!) What a self-defeating exercise (Ali Edwards warns us about this). You don’t want to get so caught up in other people’s albums that you neglect or don’t appreciate your own.
Here’s my position…
- I am not stressing over this project. I take it one day at a time. I force myself to slow down and tell just one story and one story ONLY! It doesn’t matter if I don’t have the perfect picture or just the “right” words to say. What is important is that I record my precious holiday memories.
- I am not going to compare myself to others anymore. I appreciate my creativity and that of others. I have to march to my own tune.
- Some days I will have the most magnificent pages it the world. Other days, not so much. And that’s okay. It’s not about the design, its about the memories and the stories.
- There will be days where I am able to complete a layout and other days when I am not. And that’s okay…I am busy living my life!
- Some days, I might not embellish my layout, but printing the photo and doing some preemptive journaling helps to organize my thoughts. I can complete those unfinished layouts when I have the time. Again, no worries.
- I am having fun. I am taking just a few minutes out of my day to do something that brings me so much joy and pleasure.
Later this week I will post some photos of Day 2-6 so stay tuned for that. Remember, December Daily is journey…don’t rush it. 🙂