Spring is here and it’s a great time to organize your scrappy space! But, before you dive in, I want to recommend something that I believe is the best starting point for any organization process: THE BRUTAL PURGE!
Hear me out…
How many times have you tackled an organization project only to find yourself organizing the same unwanted or unused items over and over again?
How many times have you kept a particular scrappy item due to a sentimental attachment to the item?
How many times have you said, “I’m going to use this one day!” only to put the item back into a container, never to be seen again?
Let’s be honest here…you will probably NEVER use the items that you are so desperately holding on to! So, here’s a little food for thought: Why not let something go in order to make space for the items that you truly love and enjoy?
Allow me to introduce you to the BRUTAL PURGE!
Anytime I am preparing to organize my scrapbook studio, I start with a brutal purge. I know, that sounds harsh! But, what I mean by “brutal purge” is taking the time to go through all of your scrapbook supplies and QUICKLY make decisions about the items you want to keep and let go.
This process involves letting go of any excuses that stop you from making decisions about your scrapbook supplies (e.g., “I might need that item in the future!” or “I’m saving this item for the perfect story!”). Also, the purging process forces you to be honest with yourself about the products that you actually use versus the products you are hanging on to (for whatever reason).
So, grab a box (or two) and give yourself permission to PURGE!
Here’s what I recommend:
- First, pick ONE section in your scrappy space (e.g., a drawer, a shelf, your craft desk) and assess the supplies that are located in that section.
- Next, set a timer for 1 hour. I have found that purging in 1 hour increments forces me to make quick decisions and to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Start going through all of the supplies in your selected section, quickly making decisions about what you will keep and let go. If you are not sure if you want to let go of a particular item, set it aside and come back to it later.
- Place any unwanted items in a box or container. The box should leave your scrappy space immediately once you are done with the purging session. Also, be sure to make plans to donate or sell your unwanted items.
- When the 1 hour timer goes off, assess the items that you are keeping and letting go, including the items that you were not sure about (make a final decision about those items).
- If you are happy with your decisions, move on to the next section of your scrappy space and repeat this process until you have purged and removed all of your unwanted scrapbook supplies.
Purging and organizing a scrapbook space takes time, effort, and patience. Consider breaking down this task over the period of a few days or weeks as to avoid overwhelm and burnout. It’s amazing what can get done in short blocks of time!
Also, the purging process provides a clean slate and leads to a pleasant organization experience! When unwanted items are out of the way, you can begin to make organizational decisions about the items you want to keep and use on a regular basis.
Your scrapbook space should be a creative respite that contains the items that you love and use on a consistent basis. It’s okay to give yourself permission to brutal purge! Let go of the items that no longer serve a purpose in your scrapbooking journey…you will be glad that you did!
If you are looking for spring clean inspiration, check out my Scrapbook Studio Spring Clean Series on the Victoria Marie YouTube Channel! And stay tuned for a full tour of my studio, coming later this week!